POWR MAG (Protectors of Wetlands and River Magnetawan) Inc.is a not-for profit organization whose members are permanent or seasonal residents who live on or near the Magnetawan River, their adult children/grandchildren, or any citizen of Kearney or Perry who value the “Mag” and support POWR MAG’s objectives. Anyone anywhere can be a ‘Friend of the Magnetawan’.
POWR MAG holds the natural environment and the eco-system that the Magnetawan River and it’s adjoining wetlands support as precious! Our job is to not only conserve the valuable natural surroundings we have today; but to undo past mistakes that mankind has made, and enhance the condition of these very sensitive surroundings in the future. When we think of generations forward, we want them to enjoy and appreciate every aspect of this wonderful place!
POWR MAG envisions pristine waters, flourishing flora and fauna, the scenic vistas and natural skylines throughout the Magnetawan River and wetlands - an eco-system that is respected, protected and enjoyed by informed and engaged citizens today in trust for future generations.
POWR MAG engages with residents, governments, and other stakeholders to ensure that the natural environment, scenic beauty and peaceful quality of life along the Magnetawan River and its wetlands are protected and enhanced. POWR MAG acts in the interests of local and downstream communities and citizens to:
- Educate and provide effective stewardship to maintain or improve the natural ecological features in order that all enjoy swimmable and fishable river water.
- Support eco-friendly and oppose incompatible land uses or development through solid research, monitoring, fostering awareness and participating in public processes.
- Hold ourselves accountable for our environmentally sustainable actions, where we undo past wrongs and engage in forward-thinking initiatives.
- Support green, ecofriendly tourism and industry.
- Conserve and protect ecological systems, natural features and water resources.
- Protect and improve for Generations Forward
- Defend and protect the natural environment by strong, legal methods.